Nature Kids Weekday Sessions
Nature Kids – Weekday Sessions.
Nature Kids weekday sessions are nature-based learning experiences for kids aged 6 - 12. Perfect for homeschoolers or as a one-day* alternative from mainstream school.
Facilitated by Kathy Broadhead, a qualified and experienced teacher and environmental educator. Each day we will explore nature across a broad theme by blending focused educational experiences, child-led learning and nature play. Each session will build on the next, so ideally kids join one day a week for the whole 8 weeks.
At Nature Kids, our Kaupapa is to be curious, creative, caring and collaborative. We investigate, discuss, create, take notes, draw and explore nature, outside all day.
Our days are a mix of adventurous and creative nature-based experiences. We spend our day exploring nature in public areas (this term in Mount Maunganui). We have a base set up with shelter but are off exploring different nature spaces so this involves some walking with our backpacks on.
What's up in Winter - Term 3. 2019.
- Winter - the reason for the season
- Weather in winter - patterns and predicting
- Decidious v's evergreen trees
- Do birds know it's winter?
- Are the bugs still about? Build a bug hotel
- Gardening in winter - harvesting & planting
- Winter warmers - cooking outside
- Shelter building - natural and man-made materials
- Fungi Foray - getting to know fungi.
- Plus, we also enjoy free nature play. Nature art and connection games.
Spending time outdoors in all weathers is important (and super fun) for kids, it helps them develop their understanding of the seasons, weather patterns, the changes happening in nature and helps them develop resilience. Note: Kids do not get sick from rain or cold weather, they get sick from viruses and bacteria. Research shows kids who spend more time outdoors, in all weather, are less likely to get sick.
Thursday at Mount Maunganui:
Drop the kids off one day a week on Thursday, 9 / 9.30 am – 3 pm.8 week term. Dates: August 1, 8, 15, 22, 2. Sept 5, 12, 19.
Coming SOON - Term 4
Tuesday at Te Puna Quarry (from 22 October) & Thursday (from 24th October) at the Mount. For 8 weeks.
Register your interest now! Email Kathy: email@example.com
If you haven’t already, check out some blog posts here about my School Holiday Programme for a snapshot of what Nature Kids Weekday Sessions will be like. And here are some reviews:
If you'd like more info or to chat contact Kathy:
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 027 842 5645
To BOOK click here: Booking Form
Please note: due to the nature of our sessions operating in public nature spaces, Nature Kids may not be suitable for kids with high level needs, please contact Kathy to discuss.
* Under the Education Act 1989, school principals may authorise any student to attend alternative education outside the school premises. This is often referred to as a one-day school.